Friday, November 06, 2009

Happiness...


What is happiness???

Is it the fleeting emotion you experience when you are doing something you are good at or when you achieve something you thought you were never capable of? Is it the feeling you get when you are assured of not falling, not failing or is the state of mind you achieve when things go your way?
Is happiness a temporary hormonal reaction your body/mind/heart (I am still not sure which part of "us" has the sensory receptors of happiness same way as I don't know where exactly on my tongue i feel sour and chilly hot) experiences under certain specific/general but favorable circumstances!!

I searched Wikipedia (where I think you can find anything, even the lost left of your blue socks), and this is what the wiki-guy has to say about Happiness-
Happiness is a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy.[1] A variety of philosophical, religious, psychological and biological approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources.
Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion. Happiness in this older sense was used to translate the Greek Eudaimonia, and is still used in virtue ethics.


To understand this I guess I would require Dictionary.com and more Wikipedia :|.

After "wiki-ing" I decided to seek my answer in the quotes of some famous men/women. Most of them, as per my understanding, weren't sure either! (I am not trying to draw any corollaries here .. :/).However the words did leave a smile on my face...happiness?? I dont know.

I could still not find a convincing answer to "What is happiness?"

Is happiness, as some Unknown guy, said,

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.
or is it dwellings of soul
(one more part of human anatomy I dont know the location of, but its supposed to be somewhere inside us, where.. no one knows)...

Is happiness the conviction that you are loved or is it lack of self doubt, discontentment, anxiety, grief, jealousy and so on...

What is happiness after all....

1 comment:

Gurpreet Phull said...

Hmmm..
Happinesss is:
1. Turning the things your way which you want
2. Savoring plearure in satisfaction till the pain of boredom juggles you to other desire.
3. Discerning subtle pleasures in your Self about the existance of which we ask others. :)